Staying Stress-free During the Holidays
Submitted by Ana Caban on November 3, 2015 - 12:01 pm
It’s official! The holidays really are here. I mean, Halloween has come and gone and now we’re really in full holiday swing. We all know that the holidays are supposed to be all about peace, love and joy, however they can also be stressful. Why? Oh, I don’t know, maybe because they just creep up on us and we aren’t necessarily ready for them. Or because when we actually do get out to the stores to buy food or gifts we experience parking rage, (that of others, or even our own). Or maybe because we have to travel, (at the busiest travel time of year), to see our families, whom we love but don’t always agree with us on everything, causing us undue stress. That being said, in order to make your holidays more peaceful and fun I’ve come up with 7 simple ways to reduce your stress during this season, or anytime. Here they are:
1. Use imagery~ Take a moment to imagine yourself in a beautiful, peaceful place. Maybe it’s a luxurious beach resort that you vacationed at or somewhere that you dream of going to. The key is to, momentarily, remove yourself from the anxiety provoking environment you are in order to release some of the tension you feel.
2. Breathe!~ Breathing exercises are a great way to relieve stress anytime and anywhere. They’re easy to learn, easy to use, and can be done as soon as you feel any tension and immediately begin feeling better. A simple and effective exercise is to “inhale peace” and “exhale stress”.
3. Light Up (a candle that is)~ Aromatherapy can help you feel calmer and more at peace. Light an aromatherapy candle or have essential oils available to smell in times of stress and chaos.
4. Move That Body!~ Get up from sitting, (especially important on long flights). Take a short walk. In as little as 5 minutes you will feel like you were able to separate yourself from the current situation, regroup and feel like yourself again.
5. Have a Drink~ To relax nothing is better than a cup of herbal tea. Chamomile tea is one of my favorites because in addition to being an aid for stomach aches, (which are often stress related), it is also a great sleep aid.
6. Listen to Music~ Music can really transport you. When you are feeling stressed just tune in to some mellow or soothing music and watch your stress just slip away.
7. Develop a Positive Attitude~ Optimists and positive thinkers experience better health, less stress, and más suerte (more luck) in life. Developing a more positive frame of mind may take a little time and practice, however it can change your life and how you live it. Practice makes perfect and the rewards are worth it.
Here’s to a fun and stress-free holiday season!