Submitted by Ana Caban on December 24, 2016 - 10:14 am
Keep your metabolism roaring this holiday season with these 7 simple tips:
- ¡Párate derecho! Stand up Straight! – When your body is in proper alignment your body, (especially your back and buttocks), have more strength, so you can walk faster and burn more calories. Stand up straight, with your ears and shoulders aligned over your hips and walk, walk, walk.
- ¡Muéve los brazos! Move your arms! – Maintain your arms at 90-degree angles and pump them vigorously. Not only will you burn more calories, you will also keep your shoulders, the most complicated joint in the body, lubricated and healthy.
- ¡Pasito a pasito! Take smaller steps! – Taking smaller, quicker steps will actually boost your burn. Try timing yourself walking 100 steps, then recover for one minute. Take another 100 steps, trying to cut off five seconds from your time. Repeat 10x.
- ¡Usa el asfalto! Use the pavement! Want to work your calves, hamstrings and glutes? Roll through your feet, from heel to ball. When you get to the ball of your foot push off, as if you were cleaning the sole of your shoe. The more muscles you use, the more calories you burn.
- ¡Levanta el latido del corazón! Raise your heart rate! – Wearing a heart rate monitor can keep you working at your optimal fat-burning pace. It’s like having your own coach.
- ¡Haz metas que se ven! Set goals that you can see! – Choose markers like park benches and stop signs and speed up until you reach them. Then slow down for the same distance.
- ¡Aumenta la fuerza! Add strength! – The more muscles you use the more calories you burn. Add some simple strength moves, like lunges, squats and push-ups, for más burn. While you’re walking stop every five minutes and do one minute of strength moves. This will not only help your boost your metabolism when you exercise but also long term, like when you sleep. How great is that?
Submitted by Ana Caban on November 3, 2015 - 12:01 pm
It’s official! The holidays really are here. I mean, Halloween has come and gone and now we’re really in full holiday swing. We all know that the holidays are supposed to be all about peace, love and joy, however they can also be stressful. Why? Oh, I don’t know, maybe because they just creep up on us and we aren’t necessarily ready for them. Or because when we actually do get out to the stores to buy food or gifts we experience parking rage, (that of others, or even our own). Or maybe because we have to travel, (at the busiest travel time of year), to see our families, whom we love but don’t always agree with us on everything, causing us undue stress. That being said, in order to make your holidays more peaceful and fun I’ve come up with 7 simple ways to reduce your stress during this season, or anytime. Here they are:
1. Use imagery~ Take a moment to imagine yourself in a beautiful, peaceful place. Maybe it’s a luxurious beach resort that you vacationed at or somewhere that you dream of going to. The key is to, momentarily, remove yourself from the anxiety provoking environment you are in order to release some of the tension you feel.
2. Breathe!~ Breathing exercises are a great way to relieve stress anytime and anywhere. They’re easy to learn, easy to use, and can be done as soon as you feel any tension and immediately begin feeling better. A simple and effective exercise is to “inhale peace” and “exhale stress”.
3. Light Up (a candle that is)~ Aromatherapy can help you feel calmer and more at peace. Light an aromatherapy candle or have essential oils available to smell in times of stress and chaos.
4. Move That Body!~ Get up from sitting, (especially important on long flights). Take a short walk. In as little as 5 minutes you will feel like you were able to separate yourself from the current situation, regroup and feel like yourself again.
5. Have a Drink~ To relax nothing is better than a cup of herbal tea. Chamomile tea is one of my favorites because in addition to being an aid for stomach aches, (which are often stress related), it is also a great sleep aid.
6. Listen to Music~ Music can really transport you. When you are feeling stressed just tune in to some mellow or soothing music and watch your stress just slip away.
7. Develop a Positive Attitude~ Optimists and positive thinkers experience better health, less stress, and más suerte (more luck) in life. Developing a more positive frame of mind may take a little time and practice, however it can change your life and how you live it. Practice makes perfect and the rewards are worth it.
Here’s to a fun and stress-free holiday season!
Submitted by Ana Caban on July 12, 2011 - 7:09 pm
Today has been a busy one, but I managed to squeeze in a Pilates group equipment class, How about you? What have you done o move your body today?
Need inspiration? Shake it like Shakira with my Cardio Latino Interval Training workout. Click Here to check it out! Use Coupon Code EXERCISE and get $3 off. (Offer expires 7/14/11).
Click Here to see today’s video!